LIVING AT PEACE WITH ALL PEOPLE-Divine commands
MAKING PEACE THE CHRISTIAN WAY
HOW TO MAKE PEACE- RCCG, JERICHO, SUNDAY 15/3/15
• Today is 15/3/15- 15+3+15=33. Jesus lived for 33 years! he completed the work of salvation.
Peace is important why?
Texts: Matt 5:21-26; 2 Cor 5:17-21
A New Type of Christianity BY E.W. KENYON
Discerning men and women have been asking for a new type of Christianity. They do not want a new philosophy or a new metaphysical concept of Christ, but an unveiling of the reality that was seen in Jesus in His earth walk. We have looked back for it, but it is not in the past. The early Church did not have the thing for which hearts are craving.- E W. Kenyon
Doctrines: peace, sociology,Christian living,the Church, the mind of Christ, mediation, peaceful resolution of quarrels or conflicts.
Even tongue and teeth do quarrels but they don’t separate. The disciples had it,mJesus had disputes with the establishment of marketers in the Temple in Matt 21:12. Paul and Barnabbas over companionship of John Mark in Acts 15:36-39. The two Apostles disagreed so much that they parted ways parted ways.
Webster dictionary defines ‘conflict’ as, Origin: Middle English, from Latin conflictus act of striking together, from confligere to strike together, from com- + fligere to strike — more at profligate.
You are ambassadors of Christ! Joh 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
Definition, : the highest-ranking person who represents his or her own government while living in another country
rep and negotiation with protection of yr Govt’s interest.
1. SOME OVERVIEW ( Aperçus) on peace making in the Bible. Survolons l’horizon biblique AU niveau de la Paix.
• Heb 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
• Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Matthew 5:9
• But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. Isaiah 53:5
• For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility. Ephesians 2:14
• Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:3
• Eph 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
• 2Co 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
• 2Co 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.
• he has paid the price.
• For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Romans 14:17
• 1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
• 1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
• 1Co 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
o Jdg 6:24 Then Gideon built an altar there unto the LORD, and called it Jehovahshalom: unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.
o Jesus is the Prince of peace. Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
o Without peace no development. War is antithetical to growth and development.
o You must follow it with all men
o No peace, no seeing the Lord. Heb 12:14
o We are going to a Kingdom of peace.
o What is a conflict? It is a word made of con plus fllict; clash of interest, when two persons or more clash because of interest
o Col 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
o Church is so full of coinflicts for 9 reasons among them,
2. Why the Church is Conflict- prone?
1. Nature of Church: no prequalification test, disparate views, volunteers, body if another person
2. People have temperaments that dominate their personalities, ego problems…etc
3. power struggles…even in church..there could be church politics.
4. The Pastor: his personality, communication, his family life
5. The church..Many Western churches look and act more like the contemporary culture than the kingdom of Christ. The term for such behavior is cultural syncretism.In many churches, the remedy for conflict often makes it worse, deepening the problem by failing to address the fundamental issue: We are trusting our ways more than God’s.faith… A church that organizes itself around meeting personal needs runs the great, unintended risk of breeding autonomy rather than mutuality. It also risks a theology of prosperity (feel good now) rather than a theology of the Cross (suffering for the joy set before us). God wants us to be healthy in ways greater than our perceived needs and feelings.- from MAKING PEACE- A Guide to Overcoming Church Conflict JIM VAN YPEREN, Chicago Illinois, 2002.
6. Do you need a solemn assembly? Joel 1:14. Or a Council in Jerusalem?Acts 15:2-22 et seq.
Joe 1:14 Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the LORD your God, and cry unto the LORD,
ken Sande says, Peacemakers are people who breathe grace. They draw continually on the goodness and power of Jesus Christ, and then they bring his love, mercy, forgiveness, strength, and wisdom to the conflicts of daily life. God delights to breathe his grace through peacemakers and use them to dissipate anger, improve understanding, promote justice, and encourage repentance and reconciliation.
• Conflict is common and natural among all societies but could be disastrous, if not properly managed,
Most of us have observed that these results are not common in today’s world. When people lock horns in a courtroom, a congregational meeting, the bedroom, or the workplace, relationships are often severely damaged. Conflict robs us of immeasurable time, energy, money, and opportunities in ministry or business. Worst of all, it can destroy our Christian witness. When believers are bitterly embroiled in disagreement or coldly estranged from one another- SANDE.
• WE CHRISTIANS ARE AMBASSADORS OF PEACE, RECONCILIATION
• Your attitude determines your altitude.7 “No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.” ~Unknown. 53 “To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world.” ~Brandi Snyder
• As you think so You are.Pro 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.
1. Have the mind of Jesus.Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
The three reactions to an action
There are three basic ways that people respond to conflict. These responses may be arranged on a curve that resembles a hill. On the left slope of the hill we find the escape responses to conflict. On the right side are the attack responses. And in the center we find the peacemaking responses.
Our kingdom is of peace
Rom 14:16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
1. Leave all actions for peace
2. Go to your conflicting or quarreling party
Mat 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
• Mat 5:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and
• go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
• Mat 5:25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
• Recognize and disclose to your spouse, your vulnerability
• Seek Biblical counseling. My wife and I have trained some 18 now and about 30 are in training.
Mat 5:26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.
We are to learn,
How to use conflict as an opportunity to demonstrate the love and power of Jesus When it is appropriate to overlook an offense How to change attitudes and habits that lead to conflict, How to confess wrongs honestly and effectively When to assert your rights, How to correct others effectively, How to forgive others and achieve genuine reconciliation.
• Are you a peace maker or a peace breaker? Ahab, Jezebel full of jealousy for Naboth’s vineyard as in ..1 Kgs 21:1-25.
• Do you seek peace with all people
• Pardon for peace breaking
• Grace to be a peacemaker
• Wisdom to approach peacemaking, Christlije attitudes.
‘ Imagine that you are a leader of a church practicing biblical, one-another community. You’re married, and like all Christian spouses, you struggle at times with issues and disagreements with your mate. But in your church it is safe to reveal your struggles and to ask for help. In fact, every year on your anniversary, your wife (or husband) and you invite to your home about twenty Christian brothers and sisters. These friends, some married, some single, arrive to celebrate and grow your marriage; men gather with men in one room, women with women in another. For about forty minutes you talk about your marriage over the past, admitting your struggles, laughing at your foibles, and naming your failures. Your friends ask questions and offer observations, insights, and counsel. When a verse comes to mind, you read it together and reflect on its truth. When a specific need is mentioned, you stop and pray. As the time of sharing and reflection comes to an end, everyone gathers together in a larger room to discuss what was learned and discerned.
You offer confession to your spouse in front of your friends, then make specific commitments to your partner that you desire to fulfill, inviting these friends to keep you accountable. Your spouse does the same. You renew your vows of love and fidelity for the year ahead. The evening ends with your spouse and you sitting in the middle of the room as your friends encircle you, place hands on you, and pray for your health and protection as they commit your next year of marriage to the Lord. Can you imagine such a scene?-from MAKING PEACE- A Guide to Overcoming Church Conflict- Epilogue, ‘Seven calls to Repentance’, JIM VAN YPEREN, Chicago Illinois, 2002?.
Can you envision what this would do for your marriage and your church? How many marriages (and ministers) could be saved and conflicts prevented if we practiced simple rituals like this, which remind us of our faith and rehearse our commitment? Peace is the fruit of God’s Spirit formed in biblical community. Making peace is the result of God’s people being claimed by and putting into practice the Gospel story.’
• Peace making
THE WONDERS And POWERS OF RESURRECTION
Sing: My soul doth magnify the Lord
My Spirit praises his name
For death could not hold Jesus captive
Even in the grave Jesus is Lord
TEXT: Matt 28:1-10: 1 Cor 15:1-7,12-24
Resurrection, theologically it is our Hope, victory, Jesus it is the triumph of Jesus as defined. Dictionary wise,, 1 : a ceremony attending the entering of Rome by a general who had won a decisive victory over a foreign enemy — compare ovation 1
Definition, Webster, in Christianity : the event told about in the Bible in which Jesus Christ returned to life after his death
: the event told about in the Bible in which dead people will be brought back to life before the day of final judgment: the act of causing something that had ended or been forgotten or lost to exist again, to be used again, etc.
THIS IS THE GOSPEL, 1Co 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
2 : the joy or exultation of victory or success
Historicall fact about 33 AD outside the wall of Jerusalem
New Testament Evidence. The Gospels contain abundant testimony to the resurrection of Christ (see Matt. 28:1–20; Mark 16:1–8; Luke 24:1–53; John 20:1–21:25). In addition to these detailed narratives in the four gospels, the book of Acts is a story of the apostles’ proclamation of the resurrection of Christ and of continued prayer to Christ and trust in him as the one who is alive and reigning in heaven.
• 1Co 15:19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
• 1Co 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
• Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
• Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
THE WONDERS And POWERS OF RESURRECTION
It is the triumph of God to humanity, 2 Kings 6:17, or [apparently] as with the disciples walking past the prison guards in Acts 5:19–23; 12:6, 10).
Adam was the ‘one man’ above, so death passed through his sin to all of us. We inherited the sin nature. None of us can escape it except Jesus
V 13. Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the v. world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
That is accountability
• “beginning from Moses and from all the prophets … interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself” (Luke 24:27,
• Act 23:8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.
• It was prophesied
• CHRIST IN OLD TESTAMENT PROPHECY FROM GENESIS TO MALACHI the Old Testament abounds with anticipations of the coming Messiah of Israel. Numerous predictions, fulfilled in the New Testament, relate to His birth, life, death and resurrection.
• He said it himself
Mat 26:2 Ye know that after two days is the feast of the passover, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified.
Luk 24:7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:Rom 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
THE WONDERS And POWERS OF RESURRECTION
What it is
• How it was
• There were bribery and lies
Pilate literally told the Pharisees to make Jesus’ tomb as secure as you how. The seal was a cord around the stone sealed with wax and probably an impression of the Roman Emperor’s signet impressed in the wax. Entire circumference. Breaking it an offense Four minimum Roman watch equip right a Roman Pike nay charge wt it ir hurl left a shield 4 ft by 2.5 inch other 6 sided, at times oval” covered by leather belt rt shoulder. A sword 3 ft long hung on left shoulder.. A girdle and wear a dagger.
There is only one thing they forgot. . . . Acts 2:24
Matthew 27 verse 66 – helpful information: a watch was 4 Roman soldiers.
Sealing authorized by Pilate was Prefet under Rome was delegated to seal.
XV. The glorious resurrection of our Lord (28:1-20) the Jewish sabbath was ended…to be characterized by a new era A new era begin..on the mirning of the feast of the first fruit..the first day of the wk..following the first sabbath after the Passover; do we know it has to be a sunday A sunday VCs the first day following theOasdoverJesus rose from the dead and became d first fruit of them that slept Lev 3:.9-14 fulfilled in 1 Cor 15: 20-23. The 2 Mary went yo see the Sepulvhre. Jesus had already left the tomb. No barrier could restrain Jesus in his glorious body.he walked right through the wall. He did that with disciples
Angels are supernatural beings and cld take human forms described as flame of gird in Heb Heb 1:7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire… So swift
soldiers terrified became as dead men..like little babies
Tomb empty…foundation stone of new hope Jhn 20:3-8 left sepulcher behind for ever..first evangelists of d new ch age
Matt 26:32..Galilee appointed rendezvous vous
They met Jesus on the way
The resurrection is a proof that redemption is accomplished in Acts 4:2, God raised Jesus from the dead. At his own rt hand Acts 2:33;36 acknowledging
when Gid is working nobody can stop him.
How was it?
• Jesus clearly had a physical body with “flesh and bones” (Luke 24:39), which could eat and drink, break bread, prepare breakfast, and be touched.
• If Jesus had wanted to teach them that he could materialize and dematerialize at will (as Harris argues), then he could easily have dematerialized before their eyes, so that they could clearly record this event.
1. first day, first fruit Mat 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
2. Supernatural happenings Mat 28:2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
Mat 28:3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
3. Even best soldiers paralyses Mat 28:4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
Mat 28:5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
4. Risen as declared,Mat 28:6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
Mat 28:7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.
5. Great joy Mat 28:8 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.
6. Go evangelize Mat 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
Mat 28:10 Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me.
HOW WAS IT?
The Nature of Christ’s Resurrection. Christ’s resurrection was not simply a coming back from the dead, as had been experienced by others before, such as Lazarus (John 11:1–44), for then Jesus would have been subject to weakness and aging and eventually would have died again just as all other human beings die. Rather, when he rose from the dead Jesus was the “first fruits” 2 (1 Cor. 15:20, 23) of a new kind of human life, a life in which his body was made perfect, no longer subject to weakness, aging, or death, but able to live eternally. WAYNE Grudem
Both the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Participated in the Resurrection. Some texts affirm that God the Father specifically raised Christ from the dead (Acts 2:24; Rom. 6:4; 1 Cor. 6:14; Gal. 1:1; Eph. 1:20),
• a. Christ’s Resurrection Insures Our Regeneration: Peter says that “we have been born anew to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead” (1 Peter 1:3).Redemption
• Christ’s Resurrection Insures Our Justification: In only one passage does Paul explicitly connect Christ’s resurrection with our justification (or our receiving a declaration that we are not guilty but righteous before God). 19 Paul says that Jesus “was put to death for our trespasses and raised for our justification” (Rom. 4:25).
• Healing. Was wounded for your transgressions.. Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
• Holy Spirit gifts and power. John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
• Christ’s Resurrection Insures That We Will Receive Perfect Resurrection Bodies As Well: The New Testament several times connects Jesus’ resurrection with our final bodily resurrection. “And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power” (1 Cor. 6:14). Similarly, “he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence” Eschatological Hope. Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
• “And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good” (Gen. 1:31). We as resurrected men and women will live forever in “new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells” (2 Peter 3:13). We will live in a renewed earth that “will be set free from its bondage to decay” (Rom. 8:21) and become like a new Garden of Eden. There will be a new Jerusalem, and people “shall bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations” (Rev. 21:26), and…WAYNE Grudem
• Hope of resurrection. Act 23:6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question. .1Pe 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
• satan,sin and the world conquered now under our control.Luk 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.Luk 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.Luk 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
• Basis for our faith, 1Co 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.1Co 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
o Thanks for resurrection
o No more bondage but freedom
o New life henceforth